It is becoming increasingly important for local grid operators to implement grid intelligence on their power grid. But what is grid intelligence? It can be looked upon as one or more control systems continuously balancing energy supply and demand on the local power grid, with the following interrelated benefits:
- Reduced total energy consumption, or at least reduced consumption of transmission grid power;
- Maximized consumption of locally generated power throughout the year—most importantly renewable energy—and reduced carbon footprint for the site;
- Arbitration between different power consumers on the local grid for the benefit of all;
- Avoidance of costly grid connection upgrades;
- Reduced degradation of power equipment, especially batteries.